Thursday, April 04, 2013

PyDev / LiClipse funding (and initially supported languages)

Ok, 20 days on the crowdfunding elapsed and the funding is already at 57% (with 258 funders)! So, the funding is going pretty well so far. Thank you everyone!

Also, I'd like to give special thanks for the current Silver sponsors (http://holdenweb.com - http://kichwacoders.com) and the Bronze sponsor (http://wobe-systems.com).

Still seeking Gold and Platinum sponsors though... so, if there's a company that is a heavy user of PyDev -- or maybe the future LiClipse -- and would like some space in the PyDev / LiClipse homepage...

Also, I've put up a poll on google docs to help in deciding which will be the languages supported initially in LiClipse. You can vote at: LiClipse Languages Poll.

Note that I still have not put up a new tracker for PyDev itself (but I'm working on that).

6 comments:

Dashesy said...

I just did some small believer contribution. I probably only need PyDev and dark themes. That said, you probably should spread your campaign, I found it by accident when searching about PyDev and dark themes (without aptana)! I suggest contacting some tech news websites, as well as more technical ones. PyDev being open source, LWN.net would be a good choice, they have announcements among great technical coverage.

Fabio Zadrozny said...

Hi Dashesy,

Thank you for the suggestion. I've submitted a story for them -- waiting to see if they publish it :)

Anonymous said...

My company is only a able to contribute based on an invoice and if the contribution is not any donation. I am afraid that crowdfunding is sort of donation, isn't it?

Fabio Zadrozny said...

Hi Anonymous,

There's a note related to that at the end of the page http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/pydev-and-liclipse-for-a-fast-sexy-and-dark-eclipse/ , but just to make it clear, everyone should receive invoices (but only after the funding succeeds... if the funding does not succeed then you'll get your money back).

Cheers,

Fabio

Anonymous said...

Hi Fabio,

Just want to say that I've been a long time user of PyDev. I think it's absolutely fantastic. I'm disappoited to hear how things turned out. I believe you will get the appropriate funding though. I will donate what I can.

Question for you though: Will the PyDev plugin continue to be free (if you reach 25K or beyond)? Sorry if I missed that detail somewhere.

Tim

Fabio Zadrozny said...

Hi Tim,

Yes, if the funding is reached, I plan on keeping PyDev itself open source (as well as my work on it for the upcoming year -- which is the timeframe the funding should be able to cover for).

After the funding, I'll setup a structure for people to keep it that way for as long as there are enough supporters, so, if there are enough users willing to keep it open source and evolving, year after year, I believe this will be a perfect arrangement (so, I'll only pursuit other options if that doesn't turn out well).

Cheers,

Fabio