Monday, July 25, 2005

Eclipse and java 1.5

This weekend, I decided I would upgrade PyDev to use java 1.5...

So, I got the latest java from sun, added it and started to use some of its new features (I think that the new java 1.5 features are really great).

Everything went smoothly, running, debugging, etc, until I tried to do the new release (after I coded with it for quite some time).

Eclipse gives me a report saying that it cannot build because of a compliance error. Namely: "Compliance level '1.4' is incompatible with source level '1.5'. A compliance level '1.5' or better is required". So, either I'm doing something really stupid or it's an Eclipse bug... I reported it in Eclipse (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=104960), and I'm waiting for some response...

You know, this might delay the 0.9.7 release if I cannot get around it (or I'll have to re-fix the code to remove java 1.5 features)...

Cheers,

Fabio

3 comments:

Fabio Zadrozny said...

I wish it was so easy... take a look at the bug... I've tried lot's of things...

Anonymous said...

I dont know if this is the right place to post this but since i stumbled upon your blog while trying to google for the problem...here goes

I run OpenSuse 10.1 in my machine and i installed Eclipse 3.1.1 using the smart package manager like so

#smart installed eclipse

which did the needful. Then I tried installing PyDev by adding the download source in the eclipse software updater only to halt at this error

"Org.junit required"

I thought junit functionality is added by default in eclipse 3.1.1...

Any ideas as to how to resolve this problem

Sameer Gurung
samgurung@rediffmail.com

Anonymous said...

Well, I think that the problem is that you didn't install the Eclipse sdk (which has junit and jdt).

Cheers,

Fabio